Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Map modding / balancing

Map modding / balancing 02 Jan 2015 20:04 #50023

Hi all,

First a happy new year 2015!

After by busy xmas 2014, I am currently planing to start another map modding session. Several maps may be well balanced in a 6on6, but turn out to get a arti-airstrike-spawn-exit-crapfeast.

I appreciate any suggestions of maps and mods, and other input. But remember my cheap fixes can not change anyhing on the geometry of the polygons in the map, just addapting spawn times, disable spawns, change scripts, remove nazi symbol textures, and change door behaviour (see map marakesh_night_kwmod as reference).

When i say simple, then assume that it actually not simple. Especially the script language controlling the maps is a Spagetti Code without comparison, basically usable only by try and error.....

Thus, the modifications of the following maps are scheduled /proposed:

Mlb_bayraid (release end of weekend):
- Skip all Allied spawns except the one on the lower beach and the initial one in the radar bunker.
- Allied keep these spawns the whole map.
- Axis has its rear spawn, and can capture the forward hut, and the generator building.
- Axis must complete the radar chain (forward CP, rear CP, radar tower, and modkit) only once, no time limit required.

That should avoid the spawn-exit-campfeast at the end of the map, where 1/3 of allied player go to spec because they can not leave the spawn anymore...

Mlb_Daybreak (1 week after i got input)
The map itself is quite balanced, the run time is simply too long. Axis as attacking force has too much time to basically grind down allied and make it to the end without much attacking efforts. This is not too surprizing, as a team with 4-6 engies (in a 20on20 game) can push a tank much faster than a team with only one engy (in a 6on6). From my observations in a game with rather balanced teams (yes thats possible on kw .... but not often) axis wins about 15 minutes till time out with the usualy kernwaffe-attack-efforts. Thus the following modification is proposed:

- Shorten the time bonuses gained after reaching each objective so that the total map time is shortened by 4x4=16 minutes.

This puts pressure on axis to attack, and not camp their butts of. And a more frequent loosing of axis would make the whole map more appreciated by players in the allied team.

However, in last time, some people have developed a mode to skip larger sections of the map, i.e. let axis advance even faster. If someone could tell me how this is done, i can addapt the map script accordingly so that wount happen again.

Please here i need input from you.

Cortex_who (maybe end of month):
I promised Amadeus some years ago to fix the spawn bug in the map, first sorry amadeus, Little Santa uses sooo much of my time. I have you not forgotten, however, i have completely forgotten what the problem of the map was.

Could you describe it in text form here (that allows me to think longer about it, instead only hearinbg it in TS)? Thanks.

Castle Rabenhorst (lets see)
The map is cool, but unfair so that no (allied) player wants to play it. I tryed to balance the map alredy once, but with the tools i have available thats not enough. I have the following ideas to balance it:

- Include more small buildings/huts in the lower and upper castle courtyard to provide more cover for allied.
- Remove the unnatural hurting areas from the top tower, and replace it with a wooden roof on the tower (no the roof does not make it saver there on the tower, think in direction panza/mortar)
- attach a allie constructable/ axis destructable ladder to the top of the tower. That add goomba-fun
- make the door in the tower basement accessable to axis and allied (why has aan axis castle an allied-only door?
- Make the chimney pass-able in both ways, i.e. allow for an escape of the objective via the roof.

As i said, these changes require changes on the map polygons, which i can not do (i could but with major MAJOR efforts, which i have no time for). However, Sternschubser (a former player on this server) made the map. If anyone here still has contact to him, and could ask him to supply the original GTK-Radiant map input file, it would be reasonalbe project.

So anyone here who has a reasonable dated contact address?

Best wishes and a merry xmas 2015
exp[I*Pi]=-1
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Map modding / balancing 04 Jan 2015 12:08 #50050

Bad.Santa.Brauni wrote:

Mlb_bayraid (release end of weekend):
- Skip all Allied spawns except the one on the lower beach and the initial one in the radar bunker.
- Allied keep these spawns the whole map.
- Axis has its rear spawn, and can capture the forward hut, and the generator building.
- Axis must complete the radar chain (forward CP, rear CP, radar tower, and modkit) only once, no time limit required.

That should avoid the spawn-exit-campfeast at the end of the map, where 1/3 of allied player go to spec because they can not leave the spawn anymore...

I thank you for your efforts trying to improve the maps but, in my opinion, bayraid doesn't deserve that cause it's an awful map :laugh: i don't mind to see how it will turn but i've low hopes.

The Daybreak thing it's with rifle trickjumps, one through door in the dam and the other is through that high window in the last spawn. If Adlersnest roof tj is ilegal, this should be aswell.
  • panzerballet
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 83
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds

© Kernwaffe.de - Enemy Territory Servers | Design by: LernVid.com